Ioannina – Torch Relay Greek Route
Athens 2004 Olympic Games Pin
The Olympic Flame past from Greek City, Ioannina.
The 2004 Summer Olympics Torch Relay took the Olympic Flame across every habitable continent, returning to Athens, Greece. Every citywhich had hosted the Summer Olympics was revisited by the torch, as well as several other cities chosen for their international importance.
The relay was the first time the Olympic flame had travelled to Africa, India and South America. The flame was transported from country to country aboard a specially-equipped Boeing 747 leased from Atlanta Icelandic (Registration TF-ARO) called Zeus. On board the flame was carried and burned continuously in specially modified miners lamps.
Ioannina, often called Yannena within Greece, is the capital and largest city of Epirus, an administrative region in north-western Greece.
The Zosimaia School (Greek: Ζωσιμαία Σχολή) of Ioannina (in Epirus) has been one of the most significant Greek middle-level educational institutions (high schools) during the last period of Ottoman rule in the region (1828–1913). The Zosimaia was founded at 1828 through the personal expense of the Zosimas brothers, and is still functioning as a high school under the regulations of the Greek Ministry of Education.
During the years of the Greek War of Independence (1821–1830) and while the conflicts was still raging in the region of Epirus, Ioannina, a city that was renowned for its cultural and educational background, and which had been a major center of the Greek Enlightenment, was falling into a short-term decay.
At this point, five Zosimas brothers who had migrated to Russia and become successful merchants, decided to make a significant contribution to their homeland, sponsoring the foundation of a new educational institution. The Zosimaia School was founded in 1828 and initially functioned as a four-class school. The Schools Committee of Ioannina, an organization responsible of the management of the city’s educational institution, had the full responsibility of the Zosimaia’s management, with the financial aid of the Zosimas family.
In 1833 Anastasios Sakellarios from Zagori, a former student of Athanasios Psalidas – a major intellectual of the Greek Enlightenment and Ali Pasha’s advisor – became director of the Zosimaia. In 1840 three more classes were added in the school’s educational program.
With Sakellarios’ administration, the Zosimaia became one of the most significant Greek-language schools of the Ottoman world. The majority of the students were from Epirus, but there were also many from Greek communities throughout the Ottoman Empire, e.g. from Eastern Rumelia. There were also transfers of students from other significant schools like the Phanar Greek Orthodox College (Greek: Μεγάλη του Γένους Σχολή) in Constantinople (mod. Istanbul). Additionally, a number of Turks and Albanians also attended Zosimaia, some of whom became leading personalities in their countries. The number of students reached 400 during the Sakellarios administration. Most of the graduates of Zosimaia either continued their studies, mostly in the University of Athens, or became teachers in one of the Greek schools in Balkan Peninsula. In 1860, due to the school’s high prestige the school, the University of Athens allowed the entrance of Zosmaia graduates without any examinations. However, in 1862 Sakellarios resigned as a result of disagreements with other school officials of Ioannina.
The pin depicts the Torchbearer passing from a monument of Ioannina city
Product: Olympic Pin
Pin code: #04-162-084
Official Licensed Product
Licensed Manufacturer: Efsimon Collection
There are no reviews yet.