12pcs Authentic Olympic Postcards
Images of Ancient Olympia – Series F
The 2004 Summer Olympic Games, officially known as the Games of the XXVIII Olympiad and commonly known as Athens 2004, was a premier international multi-sport event held in Athens, Greece, from 13 to 29 August 2004 with the motto Welcome Home.
Images of Ancient Olympia:
The first athletic contests in the ancient Greek world formed part of a religious festival and were held at ancient Olympia, from which they took their name. The first Olympiad is dated to 776 BC, the year in which the “sacred truce” was instituted by lphitos, king of the Eleans, Kleisthenes, the king Pisa, and the Spartan king Lykourgos.
The games led to closer relations between the Greek city-states. The spirit of peace and friendly rivalry that prevailed bestowed great prestige on the conducting of the games and as time went by they became the most important festival at Olympia.
The package includes 12 Images of Ancient Olympia in olympic postcards:
- Games of light over historical landscapes
- View of stadium at Olympia
- The reconstructed columns of the Palaestra
- The surviving ruins of the Philippeion
- View of the Heraion from the east. To the right can be seen surviving remains of the Nympheum
- The reconstructed columns of the Paleastra
- The interior of Pheidias workshop
- Aerial photograph from the archaeological site of Olympia
- General view from Olympia
- The Hermes of Praxiteles from the Archaeological Museum of Olympia
- View from the archaeological site of Olympia
- Apollo, statue in the center of the west pediment from the Temple of Zeus